TRIGGER POINT DRY NEEDLING AT ADVANCED SPORTS THERAPY
WHAT IS TRIGGER POINT DRY NEEDLING (TDN)
Trigger Point Dry Needling is an effective therapy to treat muscular tension and spasm which commonly accompanies conditions such as arthritis, nerve irritation, muscular strain, ligament strains and disc herniation. The treatment is termed “Dry” Needling as no solution is injected as with a hypodermic needle during other medical interventions such as a flu shot or cortisone injection. With TDN, the needle and its effects within the affected tissue IS the treatment. Trigger Point Dry Needling uses a small, solid filament needle which is inserted into a contracted painful knotted muscle to create a local twitch reflex. The twitch reflex phenomenon is both diagnostic and therapeutic as the first step in breaking the pain-inflammation cycle.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TDN
- Relaxation of tight muscles
- TDN can act as a "reset" button for tight muscles by altering the electrical activity and creating a twitch response within the dysfunctional or painful muscle.
- Increasing local circulation
- TDN creates localized mictrotrauma which increases circulation and delivery of nutritional proteins and healing factors.
- Decreasing pain
- TDN activates neurotransmitters such as beta-endorphins, enkephalins and dynophins, which block and/or distort transmission of pain information to the central nervous system.
- Improving flexibility, range of motion and function
- TDN releases trigger points, increases blood flow and reduces pain, thus allowing improvement in muscle flexibility, joint range of motion, muscle function and overall movement quality.
CONTACT US TODAY TO SET UP AN EVALUATION OR TREATMENT SESSION WITH ONE OF OUR CERTIFIED DRY NEEDLING SPECIALISTS!